It’s World Down Syndrome DAY!!
I hope everyone is celebrating in some way today. I love seeing the pictures of the crazy socks and heartfelt stories. I am so blessed to be part of the down syndrome community. I know I’ve mentioned a million times how Joel has shaped my life and how proud I am to be his sister, but I can’t say it enough. Joel is everything.
But I wanted to take time and revisit why we still need this day. Why we still need down syndrome awareness. The answer is because there are still people that need to be educated on down syndrome. It is not something to avoid, to fear or to hate. We still have hate crimes, discrimination, insults, memes, derogatory language, and so much hate.
We still see stories like this one:
and like these:
We will continue to spread awareness:
- Until the first response to a down syndrome diagnosis is not “I’m Sorry.”
- Until students with down syndrome are included with their non-disabled peers.
- Until people stop using phrases like retarded, mongoloid, downs kid, etc.
- Until people stop looking for a cure or a miracle.
- Until abortion isn’t the first the thing a doctor suggests just because the child may be born with down syndrome.
With that being said Down syndrome should be celebrated. I love that the world can honor our loved ones today on 3/21. The day signifies the 3rd copy of the 21st chromosome and this is a great way to spread awareness about this disability. I think in my house everyday is down syndrome day. Life is just so good with Joel and I cannot imagine a world without him. He makes me who I am in more ways than I can even fathom. Happy World Down’s Syndrome Day!!